David Levine is a founding partner of Sanchez Fischer Levine, LLP and heads the firm’s Miami office. David’s law practice focuses primarily in the areas of international, cross-border and commercial litigation and arbitration. David has extensive trial experience representing domestic and foreign clients in complex, commercial disputes in federal and state courts as well as in arbitration proceedings. David routinely represents clients in high stakes, “bet the company” litigation, where he utilizes his experience and pragmatic approach to help clients navigate their cases.
David has quickly garnered a reputation for his strong litigation skills, such as his successful representation of the South American Soccer Confederation in the civil fallout from the FIFA-gate corruption scandal; his trial efforts that helped secure a multi-million-dollar jury verdict in the Southern District of Florida on behalf of an individual inventor in a patent infringement lawsuit against one of the world’s largest corporations; and his countless other efforts that have resulted in millions of dollars in recovery on behalf of his clients.
Outside of the courtroom, David co-chairs the International Ethics Committee of the American Bar Association’s Section of International Law and regularly speaks on ABA panels around the country on cutting edge ethical issues facing attorneys. David has also been an invited speaker at the Business Law Section of the Florida Bar where he showcased his trial skills in a mock trial for the Florida Bar IP Symposium.
Prior to founding Sanchez Fischer Levine, LLP, David was a partner at a prominent international litigation law firm in South Florida.
- Represented inventor in patent infringement lawsuit against Samsung. Obtained $4.3 million jury verdict.
- Defended the South American Soccer Confederation in civil fallout from the FIFA-gate corruption scandal for claims arising under federal antitrust and state unfair competition laws. Obtained dismissal on personal jurisdiction grounds.
- Defended individuals sued by Central American produce grower in federal court arising under various Perishable Agricultural and Commodities Act (PACA) violations for purported breach of parties’ marketing and distribution agreement. Obtained dismissal on behalf of all defendants.
- Represented foreign entity in domesticating foreign judgment and ultimately collected 100% of the judgment plus interest.
- Represented Central American conglomerate in international health insurance dispute in federal court arising under Florida’s Unfair Insurance Trade Practices Act for damages in excess of $2 million.
- Represented Chilean and Peruvian corporations in international conspiracy lawsuit against former corporate executives.
- Represented French painter in arbitration before the international centre for dispute resolution in breach of licensing agreement action.
- Represented Trinidad and Tobago reinsurer in London ARIAS arbitration against United Arab Emirates entity in dispute over reinsurance treaty.
- Represented former executor of foreign estate in Central America in claims brought under the federal RICO statute for predicate acts of wire fraud, mail fraud and money laundering.
- Represented plaintiff, a designer and distributor of Jonas Brothers watches and watch boxes in false advertising claim under Lanham Act.
- Represented foreign entities in multi-million dollar action against bank for aiding and abetting civil theft and dealing in stolen property.
- Represented international fresh produce distributor in litigation under the Perishable Agricultural and Commodities Act and for breach of distribution agreement.
- Represented Aruban bank in post judgment proceeding to dissolve multi-million dollar writ of garnishment on a correspondent bank account.
- Represented entity in action to extend the life of a million dollar judgment to avoid the statute of limitations barring any further collection efforts.
- Represented plaintiff in jury trial in the Complex Commercial Litigation Division in Miami-Dade County Circuit Court; obtained directed verdict on $40 million promissory note in highly contested real property action.
- Represented plaintiff in RICO and breach of fiduciary duty bench trial before the Complex Commercial Litigation Division in Miami-Dade County Circuit Court.
- Represented plaintiff in construction defect and breach of contract bench trial in the Complex Litigation Division in Hillsborough County Circuit Court.
- Defended against multi-million dollar personal guarantee in condominium conversion dispute in Miami-Dade County Circuit Court.
- Villamorey, S.A. v. BDT Investments, Inc., — So.3d —-, 2018 WL 1832447 (Fla. 3d DCA 2018) (affirming trial court’s post judgment garnishment procedure and holding that foreign entity is subject to Court’s personal jurisdiction).
- GolTV, Inc. v. Fox Sports Latin Am. Ltd., 16-24431-CIV, 2017 WL 4155478 (S.D. Fla. Sept. 19, 2017) (granting South American Soccer Confederation’s motion to dismiss on personal jurisdiction grounds).
- Landmark Funding, Inc. on Behalf of Naples Syndications, LLC v. Chaluts, — So. 3d —, 2017 WL 1013133 (Fla. 2d DCA 2017) (reversing trial court’s order dismissing plaintiff’s derivative action and holding that plaintiff properly alleged standing).
- Tootie Disc. Palace, LLC v. PTX Performance Products, Inc., — So.3d —-, 2016 WL 1367042 (Fla. 4th DCA 2016) (clarifying Florida’s post judgment law and affirming trial court’s denial of appellant’s post-judgment motion to intervene).
- Juega v. Davidson, 105 So. 3d 575 (Fla. 3d DCA 2012), review dismissed, 123 So. 3d 1146 (Fla. 2013) (reversing trial court’s denial of motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction in a multi-million dollar conspiracy action).
- Gavet v. Thomann, 84 So. 3d 1041 (Fla. 4th DCA 2012) (affirming trial court order denying motion to vacate default final judgment).
- Goldblatt v. C.P. Motion, Inc., 77 So. 3d 798 (Fla. 3d DCA 2011) (affirming final judgment, in part, as to trial court’s order granting summary judgment on enforceability of restrictive covenants in partnership dispute).
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Moderator, “Digital Currency – The Ethical Considerations for Accepting Cryptocurrency as Payment for Legal Services,” ABA International Law Section Conference, Washington D.C., April 2019.
- Speaker, “Making Your Case for Damages: How to Present your IP Damages Case,” Business Law Section of the Florida Bar, Intellectual Property Symposium, Orlando, Florida, April 2019.
- Speaker, “International Ethics,” ABA International Law 101 Bootcamp Program, Miami, Florida, July 2018.
- Speaker, “What will be the ethics and other impact of AI on Legal Practice and Law Practice Management?” ABA International Law Section Conference, New York, April 2018.
- Speaker, “Ethics of Client Communications with New Media in a Global Practice,” ABA International Law Section Conference, Miami, Florida, October 2017.
- International Law Practice Pointer: The Importance of a Cuba Practice Group in Light of Restored Diplomatic Relations, ABA Section of International Law – Young Lawyers Interest Network & Outreach Committee Newsletter, February 2016.
- International Law Practice Pointer: Bypassing the Hague Convention on Service Abroad, ABA Section of International Law – Young Lawyers Interest Network & Outreach Committee Newsletter, January 2015.
- American Bar Association
- Section of International Law – Co-Chair International Ethics Committee (2018-2019)
HONORS & AWARDS
- “Top Up & Comer in Law" – South Florida Business & Wealth Magazine (2019).